Optical Grade Polycarbonate
Weprofab is the premier optical grade manufacturer. Weprofab manufactures and supplies quality products including optical grade polycarbonate. We use all-inclusive technology that guarantees steady production capacities and performance. Send us your inquiries!
Get WeProFab Optical Grade Polycarbonate Delight Your Customers
Weprofab is an ISO certified and OEM brand. In many cases, we can also support our customers to optimize their designs which can reduce costs and avoid failure on real applications. We also support and helps clients to increase productivity.
Weprofab is a certified expert mirror optical-grade polycarbonate manufacturer in China. This premier fabrication method is executed in our advanced machinery.
Weprofab has the full capability to be your all-in-one optical-grade polycarbonate fabrication solution. Our great advantage is can design easily and offered the product at favorable rates.
Weprofab offers the entire line of customizations for optical-grade polycarbonate depending on your specifications. We will manufacture optical grade polycarbonate with the ideas you provide such as dimensions or design requirements.
Weprofab optical-grade polycarbonate for the shower doors is fabricated by our talented engineers. We also have own special way to enhance all our products.
Weprofab can customize optical-grade polycarbonate sheets. We will absolutely make your optical-grade polycarbonate sheet from ordinary to an amazing polycarbonate sheet.
Weprofab optical-grade polycarbonate rod could offer you not only a gorgeous products but also more durable than other optical-grade polycarbonate rods.
Optical grade clear polished polycarbonate film has photometry and diffusing features. It provides Led masking and optimized transmittance capability.
The 16mm optical-grade polycarbonate solid sheet has UV protection and an anti-fog surface. Suitable for skylight, swimming pool cover, rain canopy, noise barrier, etc.
Weatherproof optical-grade polycarbonate 3-wall sheet has a 25% to 88% light transmission rate. It provides UV co-extrusion surface for a long life span.
WeProFab is a joint-venture company between WeeTect Material Limited and a Chinese local fabrication manufacturer. We tend to offer you a one-stop solution for fabrication.
As a professional OEM factory of optical-grade polycarbnate, WeProFab boasts the best quality of optical-grade polycarbonate all over the world. Our full capacity for fabrication can give you a one-stop solution.
Send us an inquiry now and we will give you a perfect product.
Custom Optical-grade Polycarbonate to Skyrocket Your Brand
It has an anti-ultraviolet coating that will not cause yellowing. It can guarantee 10 years of quality assurance. The optical grade A 2100*5800 Size Polycarbonate Sheet is easy to transport, easy to install, and is lightweight.
Both sides of the 0.1mm clear optical-grade polycarbonate film sheet are covered by film. They are flame retardant and scratch-resistant. Suitable for various applications like speedometers, electroplated mirrors, monitor displays, helmets, toy models, and many more.
The product has various features: heat resistance, excellent clarity, high gloss surface, superior dimensional stability. They are suitable for use in-mold decoration, automotive interiors, and appliances.
Why WeProFab Optical-grade Polycarbonate
Weprofab optical-grade polycarbonate is designed for optical purposes.
To ensure the quality of the lens and its clarity to prevent any discoloration.
It is one of the special components in designing and molding to produce a high quality of the lens.
Weprofab is one of the trusted producers of optical grade polycarbonate in China.
We style and design polycarbonate not just can be used for optical purposes but also can be applied to any various industries.
Our optical-grade polycarbonate can be used for outdoor and indoor applications.
Like for medical facilities, buildings, in transportation shelters, shields, skylights, snowmobile, windshield, and many more.
Many of our clients use this kind of polycarbonate because it is not easy to break or damage.
It has a unique characteristic that is easy to deal with solvent and cement, easy to fabricate, and outstanding toughness.
If you need an optical grade polycarbonate for your business, Weprofab is your great solution.
We provide a unique optical-grade polycarbonate that perfectly suits your needs.
All our products has all the properties and attribute that you may be looking for a certain polycarbonate.
It has UV stability, low distortion, FDA compliance, high impact strength, and flame resistance that can make their performance superior.
As one of the leading manufacturers of optical grade polycarbonate, Weprofab enacts to produce the highest standard quality products.
In order to meet an exceeds the customer’s caliber requirements.
You don’t need to worry since our products are ISO certified and passed the international standards.
In Weprofab, we continue to improve both of our quality management and the quality of our products.
We work hard to produce the best products for you using our advanced technology equipment in manufacturing optical-grade polycarbonate to support the goal of your business.
If you are interested in our optical grade polycarbonate and other products, contact us immediately.
Optical Grade Polycarbonate: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
Before you import optical grade polycarbonate, you should read this FAQ guide.
It has all answers to questions you could be having on optical grade PC – from definition, benefits, characteristics, applications to features.
So, if you want to be an expert in optical grade polycarbonate read through all the 25 questions.
- What does Optical Grade on Polycarbonate mean?
- What are the Benefits of Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade?
- What is the Luminous Transmittance of Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
- Why Choose Polycarbonate Optical Grade?
- Where can you use Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
- Which Products are made from Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
- Are there Disadvantages of Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
- What are the Characteristics of Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
- Is Optical Grade Polycarbonate Hard or Soft?
- Does Optical Grade Polycarbonate Yellow on Sun?
- Which Side of Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade is UV Stabilized?
- How do you Bend Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade?
- Are there Optical Grade Polycarbonate Cut to Size?
- Is there a difference between Optical Grade Polycarbonate Film and Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade?
- Can you Print on Optical Grade Polycarbonate Sheet?
- How do you Fabricate Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
- Can you Shear Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
- How does Optical Grade Acrylic compare to Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
- What is the Thickness of Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade?
- How much does Optical Grade Polycarbonate Cost?
- Is there a difference between Optical Grade Polycarbonate and Standard Polycarbonate Material?
- Can you Apply other Coating on Optical Grade Polycarbonate Sheet?
- Are there Custom Optical Grade Polycarbonate Sheets?
- Is Optical Grade Polycarbonate Scratch Resistant?
- How do you Test Quality of Optical Grade Polycarbonate Sheet?
What does Optical Grade on Polycarbonate mean?
It refers to an element that is designed to provide relatively high transmission in the visible region of the spectrum.
It provides complete luminous transmittance and a comparatively low haze factor.
It features high strength, which is essential in ensuring that it resists several elements such as shattering, repeated blows, and spalling, among others.
These enable it to match the specific demands for applications that require somewhat low distortion with optimal visual quality.
What are the Benefits of Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade?
Optical grade polycarbonate sheet
- It has excellent resistance to impact, which makes it resistant to spalling, shattering as well as repeated blows. It thus implies that you’ll be able to use it a wide range of applications that are susceptible to such elements since it is resistant to them.
- You can use it in several applications that require high-performance properties given that has excellent dimensional stability and toughness.
- It is highly transparent to visible lights and allows for better light transmission than other materials such as glass. Therefore, you can use it in various applications, which require transparency.
- During manufacturing, you can add additives such as anti-scratch, UV stability, static dissipation, anti-fog, and flame retardance agents to enhance its efficiency.
- It is available in different sizes, which is vital because it gives you alternatives to choose the specific size that suit your needs.
- Polycarbonate sheet optical grade is also relatively affordable. Most suppliers usually sell them based on the measurement. Therefore, you can easily obtain it irrespective of your budget.
What is the Luminous Transmittance of Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
Firstly, luminous transmittance refers to the ratio of transmitted light to the incident light.
It primarily measures the amount of light passing through a sample and is often expressed in the form of a percentage.
In optical grade polycarbonate, the luminous transmittance usually varies, depending specifically, with the thickness of the material.
For instance, the luminous transmittance of a 4mm optical-grade polycarbonate can be as high as 89%.
Transmittance of polycarbonate sheet
Why Choose Polycarbonate Optical Grade?
- It is optically clear, which is fundamental given that it makes it possible to provide total luminous transmittance as well as a low haze factor.
- It has a polished surface that is UV stabilized; hence you can effectively use it for several outdoor applications without worries of possible discoloration of this material.
- It offers excellent toughness, thus a guarantee that you’ll be able to use it even in most applications, which require toughness.
- It is resistant to heat hence giving you peace of mind even it is exposed to high temperatures for long, given that it will never deform or lose shape.
- It has low levels of distortion hence allowing you and other users to have a clear view of the surface.
- You can customize optical-grade polycarbonate to suit your specific needs. This is critical because this material can be used in different types of applications hence tailoring it for your specific enhances efficiency and desirable results.
- It is easy to fabricate this material using different techniques, thus making it possible for you to attain the best results from using it in your application.
Where can you use Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
You can use this material in several applications including the following;
Pool enclosure made from optical grade polycarbonate sheet
- Aftermarket automotive parts – Some of the motor vehicle parts, such as windscreens and windows, among others, are designed using this type of material. It is essential since they help in enhancing visibility.
- Face shields – It is also used in making different types of face shields such as riot face shield, ballistic face shield, bionic face shield, UV face shield, and medical face shield, among others.
- Visual applications – Most of these applications include the manufacturing of dressing mirrors, automotive mirrors, and other security mirrors, among others.
- Construction industry – Modern constructions incorporate optical-grade polycarbonate material in different elements of the building. For instance, you can use this material to manufacture shower doors.
- Packaging industry – It is also commonly used in the packaging of various types of consumer and household products such as cosmetics, among others.
- Roofing – This material is also common in roofing applications in many buildings, both commercial and residential. For instance, it is ideal for sky lighting, given that it offers excellent clarity, weatherability, and durability all at the same time.
- Pool enclosures – You can as well use optical-grade polycarbonate to cover your swimming pools.
Which Products are made from Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
The products made from optical grade polycarbonate material is dependent on the specific applications.
Of course, they are quite a several but the most common ones you’re likely to come across include the following;
- Motor vehicle windscreens
- Moto vehicle windows
- Pool enclosures
- Shower doors
- Graphic holders
- Semiconductor machinery components
- Transparent manifolds
- Medical face shields
- Ballistic face shields
- Medical equipment such as test tubes and conical flasks etc.
- Point of sale displays
- Workspace partitions
Are there Disadvantages of Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
Of course, it has a few shortcomings, which include the following;
- It has relatively weak resistance to abrasion. Therefore, it tends to scratch quite easily, which compromises its appearance. Even so, you can choose to use an anti-scratch coating to enhance resistance.
- Producing this type of material is relatively costly, given that high processing temperatures and sophisticated equipment.
- The other disadvantage is that it is quite difficult to tint this type of polycarbonate sheet.
- Optical grade polycarbonate is susceptible to degradation, especially when exposed to processing equipment for longer.
- It is not suitable for applications revolving around organic solvents. The reason here is that it has reasonably low chemical resistance, which makes it deteriorate when exposed to such substances for an extended period.
What are the Characteristics of Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
- High impact resistance – Naturally, this material is quite strong, regarded as one of the strongest thermoplastics in the market. This, therefore, enables it to be resistant to impact and pressure.
- Lightweight – Optical grade polycarbonate appears quite bulky. However, it is lightweight, which makes it popular for several applications, given that it’s easy to handle and fix accordingly.
- Formability – It is also easy to fabricate this material into different shapes and profiles, depending on your requirements. Some of the techniques you can use include thermoforming, drilling, extrusion, vacuum molding, and injection molding, among others.
- Dimensional stability – It displays excellent dimensional stability particularly, at elevated temperatures.
- Flame resistance – This material is resistant to heat hence cannot deform even when exposed to high temperatures for long.
- Weatherability – Optical grade polycarbonate material is also resistant to a wide range of weather elements. And, thus, ideal even for outdoor applications.
- Inherent transparency – It is clear hence transmits a significant amount of light.
Is Optical Grade Polycarbonate Hard or Soft?
It depends on the type of application you are using the specific optical grade polycarbonate material.
There are some applications such as engineering, which require the use of hard polycarbonate, whereas other applications require soft material.
For instance, polycarbonate skylights are made of hard material.
So generally, this material is available both in soft and hard texture, depending on your needs.
Does Optical Grade Polycarbonate Yellow on Sun?
To some extent, it does yellow in the sun.
What happens is that excessive exposure to sunlight makes the UV rays to penetrate the material.
So when looking with the naked eye continuously, these rays tend to attack the outer layer of the optical grade polycarbonate sheet.
This, of course, destroys this material as well as its inherent features.
It, therefore, means that when this material is exposed to UV rays, it becomes yellow with time.
The good news is, modern optical grade polycarbonate sheet comes with anti-UV treatment.
Therefore, they can maintain their optical properties for several years.
Which Side of Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade is UV Stabilized?
In most cases, it is the outer section of this material that usually UV stabilized.
The reason here is that it is the outer side that is typically subjected to a wide range of elements such as weather conditions, temperature changes, possible impacts, and abrasion, among others.
However, depending on the particular application of the material, you might find that some are often UV stabilized on both sides.
Primarily, a UV stabilized optical grade polycarbonate sheet implies that it is protected hence stronger, and cannot easily shatter or break.
And it is this aspect that makes optical grade polycarbonate sheet quite stronger than other thermoplastics such as acrylic.
How do you Bend Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade?
You can use several techniques to bend polycarbonate sheet optical grade such as the following;
Hotline bending – It is a popular way of bending this material, which involves softening it using a narrow heated strip like an electric heater or hot wire.
And depending on varied factors, you can heat one or both sides of the polycarbonate sheet.
Cold line bending – This technique does not necessarily require you to heat the material for you to bend it.
All you need to have are tools with sharp edges and also allow for about one or two days after bending the material.
You also need to attempt a cold line bending on a sample piece before you commit to a larger piece.
After trying out the sample piece, you can go ahead and cut the sheet into its pre-bending size.
Ensure that you provide the edges a smooth finish as a way of eliminating any chances of cracking from the bend line.
Bend the sheet rapidly, and bend it to about 20-40° larger than the desired angle.
Polycarbonate bending parameters
Thermoforming – It is a technique, which uses heat as well as a combination of pressure to bend the sheet into the desired final shape.
It allows the possibility of bending the entire sheet and does not substantially limit it to creating linear bends.
Using a heat gun – This technique is more or less similar to hotline bending.
The only difference is that the operator, in this case, tends to use a heat gun by moving it constantly along the bend line.
While at it, the operator also ensures that they flip over the polycarbonate sheet optical grade to ensure both sides are heated.
Break bending – It is also the other common technique that you can use to bend polycarbonate sheet optical grade.
It uses a tool known as a press brake that enables it to alter the material into the desired final form.
Cold curving – It is another popular method of bending optical grade polycarbonate sheet.
It is primarily, the process of bending the entire to create an arch or dome.
What happens, in this case, is that the harder the variant of this material, the greater its minimum cold forming radius ought to be.
Are there Optical Grade Polycarbonate Cut to Size?
In fact, most of these materials that many people buy, especially for DIY and domestic projects, are usually cut to size.
The essence here is to enable you to get the actual size for your application, which is important in cost-effectiveness as well as preventing wastage.
Cutting polycarbonate to size is simple and straightforward.
Is there a difference between Optical Grade Polycarbonate Film and Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade?
Yes, to some extent, the difference is primarily in line with thickness.
Optical grade polycarbonate sheet
What happens is that film is extremely thin hence used for applications that require thickness accuracy.
The sheet, on the other hand, is relatively thicker than the film, thus ideal for structural applications.
Can you Print on Optical Grade Polycarbonate Sheet?
Yes, it is quite possible to print on this type of material.
What you need to do in this case is making sure that you use a recommended printer that can provide clear and unique prints on the surface of this material.
Also, you need to ensure that your printer is full-on ink always when printing polycarbonate sheets to make it legible for printing.
How do you Fabricate Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
You can use several ways to fabricate polycarbonate sheet optical grade including the following;
Thermoforming – It refers to a manufacturing process where this type of material is heated to a pliable forming temperature to form a specific desirable shape.
This method is essential because it ensures that you attain uniform as well as repeatable formed parts.
Cutting to size -It is also another popular technique for fabricating this material.
It essentially involves reducing the large optical grade polycarbonate sheet into a sizeable size that suits the specific application.
Drilling – It is usually common especially, when in need of creating holes on different spots of the material surface.
Drilling optical grade polycarbonate is vital, but you need to ensure that you use suitable drill bits.
Injection molding – It refers to a manufacturing process for creating optical grade polycarbonate parts by injecting the material into a mold.
You need to, however, be particular when carrying out this exercise on your material for the best results.
Coating – In this case, it involves the application of different elements to enhance the efficacy of the material in various aspects.
The common types of coating include anti-reflective, anti-fog, abrasion-resistant, and UV resistant coating, among others.
CNC Milling – It involves use of hi-tech machines to help in eliminating burs from the material and, at the same time keeping tight tolerances.
Laminating – It is a process, which involves integration of multiple layers to enhance the various elements of composite material such as strength, appearance, and stability, among others.
Can you Shear Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
Yes! It is possible to shear optical grade polycarbonate material.
However, the caveat here is that you can only shear this material in sheets that have thin gauges.
How does Optical Grade Acrylic compare to Optical Grade Polycarbonate?
Typically, both materials are ideal for most applications.
However, they tend to slightly overlap each other as far as their specific suitability is concerned.
For instance, optical grade acrylic sheet is stiff and has outstanding strength and excellent optical clarity.
It is also easy to machine, tends to bond well with solvents and adhesives, and it is also easy to thermoform.
It also has superior weathering characteristics and exhibits clarity and brilliance.
Additionally, optical grade acrylic sheet provides versatility, aesthetic qualities as well as durability.
Optical grade acrylic sheet
On the other hand, optical grade polycarbonate sheet also exhibits natural toughness, quite stronger than acrylic hence higher impact resistance.
It is also easier to fabricate, thermoform, and bond. It also has better light transmittance ability and better durability than acrylic.
This material has better electrical insulation features, bonding properties, and excellent optical clarity.
It also has better dimensional stability than optical grade acrylic sheet.
In most instances, though, you’ll find that they are used in more or less similar applications, albeit with slight variance.
What is the Thickness of Polycarbonate Sheet Optical Grade?
The thickness varies, of course, depending on specific applications.
However, the ideal minimum thickness of this material needs to be 3mm.
The range can be up to about 12mm.
How much does Optical Grade Polycarbonate Cost?
Typically, optical grade polycarbonate is usually priced depending on various aspects.
Therefore, there is no definite cost for a specific type of this material.
In most instances, the pricing is generally based on the size that you are purchasing.
It also varies depending on the thickness as well as other factors such as shipping cost and related taxes.
For that reason, you need to inquire from your ideal optical grade polycarbonate sheet supplier, such as WeProFab, to get a quote depending on the specifications that you provide.
Is there a difference between Optical Grade Polycarbonate and Standard Polycarbonate Material?
Yes, there is a difference.
First off, the optical grade polycarbonate material is UV-stabilized, optically clear polished polycarbonate sheet specifically engineered to offer superior optical performance.
It is also designed to provide enhanced flammability performance over the standard polycarbonate material.
In other words, the primary difference, in this case, is that optical grade polycarbonate material is designed to enhance:
- Optical performance
- UV resistance
- Excellent impact strength, compared to the standard polycarbonate material.
Can you Apply other Coating on Optical Grade Polycarbonate Sheet?
In fact, as a way of enhancing the efficacy of optical grade polycarbonate sheet, it is ideal and recommended to add specific coating treatment depending on the particular application.
Several coating options that can be integrated with this material include anti-fog, anti-scratch, UV-resistance, and anti-reflective coatings among others.
The essence of applying such coating treatment is to primarily enhance the functionality of this material in providing desirable optical performance.
Are there Custom Optical Grade Polycarbonate Sheets?
Remember, optical grade polycarbonate sheets are used in different applications.
Now each application comes with its own standards and requirements, hence the need for getting customized polycarbonate sheet optical grade.
Also, you need to have it in mind that not all suppliers you find on the internet can craft customized optical polycarbonate sheets.
And this is where suppliers such as WeProFab come in handy.
All you need to do in this instance is to provide your specific designs and let the engineers handle the rest.
At the end of it all, you’ll have your customized unit for your specific applications.
Is Optical Grade Polycarbonate Scratch Resistant?
Yes, it is scratch-resistant, given that there is an anti-scratch coating that is often used for treating this material.
This treatment, thus makes it possible to resist any form of abrasion for as many years as possible.
Additionally, if it gets scratched, it also becomes easy to remove the scratches by using a simple procedure, which helps in restoring it to the original state.
Scratch resistant polycarbonate sheet
How do you Test Quality of Optical Grade Polycarbonate Sheet?
Before optical grade polycarbonate sheet gets into the market, there have to be taken to several tests as a way of ensuring it meets the threshold for end-users.
Such tests vary depending on type of application for this unit.
However, it is also noteworthy to understand that there are agencies tasked with carrying out the quality tests to ensure that each optical grade polycarbonate product conforms.
For instance, FDA and ISO have stringent measures of making sure that the material or any related product attains the minimum set quality standards.
Now, it’s your turn:
Do you have any questions on an optical grade polycarbonate sheet?
Well, WeProFab team is here to help; just tell us your specification will help you.